Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Frequently Asked Questions

I confirmed my admission to the Volunteer Bridge Program. Now what?

Are Volunteer Bridge students eligible for Tennessee Promise?

What is the Volunteer Bridge Program?

How do I become a Volunteer Bridge student?

Where do Volunteer Bridge students live?

What is a Living and Learning Community?

In the program, will I be considered a PSCC or a UT student?

Where will I attend classes as a Volunteer Bridge student?

How much does the Volunteer Bridge Program cost?

What requirements must I fulfill as a Volunteer Bridge student to earn full admission to UT for my second year and beyond?

What is meant by “transferrable hours”?

How will I get to my classes at PSCC?

Can I declare any major I want once I earn full admission to UT for my second year?

Will I need a meal plan?

Are there any UT or PSCC student activities and services that are off limits to me while in the program?

I confirmed my admission to the Volunteer Bridge Program. Now what?

Congratulations! Welcome to the UT Class of 2024! If you completed the confirmation process via your VIP admissions portal, then you’ve taken the first step towards your UT degree. View next steps here. Call 865-974-3523 or email if you have any questions. We can’t wait to meet you!

Are Volunteer Bridge students eligible for Tennessee Promise?

Yes. Students who qualify and signed up for Tennessee Promise can participate in both Promise and Volunteer Bridge. Note that Tennessee Promise only applies to Tennessee community colleges, so the Promise scholarship will apply only to Volunteer Bridge students’ PSCC bills (tuition and fees). Tennessee Promise is also a last-dollar scholarship, meaning that other grants and scholarships (such as Pell grants and the HOPE Scholarship) will be applied to students’ PSCC bill before Tennessee Promise. Because Volunteer Bridge is a one-year program, students who successfully complete the Volunteer Bridge Program and wish to transfer to UT classes in their second year will need to leave the Promise program after the first year. For more information about Tennessee Promise, visit

What is the Volunteer Bridge Program?

The Volunteer Bridge Program is an invitation-only program designed to support a promising group of prospective UT students who would benefit from the combined academic support and opportunities of the University of Tennessee and Pellissippi State Community College. Volunteer Bridge students live in UT campus housing as part of a living and learning community (or commute to campus if eligible) and take certain courses together. Volunteer Bridge students enroll full-time at PSCC. After a successful first year at PSCC, students who fulfill all Volunteer Bridge Program requirements are guaranteed admission to UT for their second year and beyond.

How do I become a Volunteer Bridge student?

The Volunteer Bridge Program is an invitation-only program. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions reviews first-year UT applicants and issues invitations to students eligible for Volunteer Bridge admission. Invited students must complete a confirmation process to participate in the program.

Where do Volunteer Bridge students live?

All Volunteer Bridge students are strongly encouraged to live on campus, where you will live in the same residence hall and share common academic experiences with others in the program as part of a Living and Learning Community. Complete your forms as soon as possible, as on-campus housing is limited and on a first-come, first-served basis.

Get more information and see pictures of Clement Hall. 

What is a Living and Learning Community?

UT offers a variety of Living and Learning Communities (LLC’s) that provide opportunities for students to connect with classmates, become involved in campus life, and develop skills necessary to be both a successful UT student and a successful leader. The Volunteer Bridge Program offers an LLC experience to Volunteer Bridge students on a first-come, first-served basis.

Commuter Volunteer Bridge students are not considered part of the Volunteer Bridge LLC, but are welcome to participate in LLC activities when possible.

In the program, will I be considered a PSCC or a UT student?

Both. Volunteer Bridge students have both UT and PSCC student IDs and can access student support services and activities at both institutions.

Where will I attend classes as a Volunteer Bridge student?

During fall and spring semesters, Volunteer Bridge students enroll full time (12+ hours per semester in fall and spring) at PSCC. Volunteer Bridge students are encouraged to register for courses at the Division Street or Hardin Valley campus of PSCC but may take classes at any of PSCC’s five campuses.

How much does the Volunteer Bridge Program cost?

See the “Costs” section (under the Becoming a Volunteer Bridge Student tab).

Students who wish to keep a car on UT’s campus will pay the regular UT parking rates; parking at PSCC is free.

Volunteer Bridge students are not required to purchase a meal plan from UT dining but may select from all available meal plans (commuter, non-commuter, and apartment) if they wish to do so.

Scholarships and financial aid are available to assist with these costs for those who qualify. Students interested in receiving financial aid must complete a 2020-2021 FAFSA for fall and spring semesters. Students should be sure to list PSCC as their #1 institution on both FAFSAs. The PSCC school code is 012693.

The Volunteer Bridge fee is non-refundable.

What requirements must I fulfill as a Volunteer Bridge student to earn full admission to UT for my second year and beyond?

Volunteer Bridge students have a maximum of four semesters to complete program requirements. Students who begin the program in fall have only three semesters (fall/spring/summer) to complete requirements. By the end of the spring semester, a Volunteer Bridge student must have at least a 2.0 overall GPA and 24 transferrable hours to guarantee admission to UT for the sophomore year and beyond.

What is meant by “transferrable hours”?

For the purposes of the Volunteer Bridge Program, “transferrable hours” refers to credit hours earned at PSCC with a D or better in a class that transfers to UT. Transitional courses (such as 800-level math and English courses at PSCC) are not included in Volunteer Bridge students’ “transferrable hours,” nor are credits earned prior to joining the Volunteer Bridge Program. To determine whether a course is considered transferable, students should consult with their PSCC advisor and/or UT coach.

Note that some courses in which a D is earned will transfer into UT but will not count towards a student’s general education or degree requirements at UT. For instance, UT students must earn a C or higher in English Composition I and II to receive credit for those courses, so if a student transfers in a D in one of those courses, the student must still take that course at UT to satisfy the requirement. Volunteer Bridge students should strive to earn C’s or better in all classes and should discuss any D’s with their advisors to determine the best course of action. For Volunteer Bridge Program purposes, however, all D’s earned during the program will count towards students’ total transferrable hours.

Students who need College Algebra (MATH 1130 at PSCC) for their prospective major but have a math ACT subscore (or equivalent) of 19-20 are required to take a three-hour nontransferrable pre- or co-requisite math course (MATH 1030) at PSCC.

How will I get to my classes at PSCC?

Volunteer Bridge students are responsible for their own transportation to and from PSCC campuses. Students can drive or carpool with classmates. Although it will not match class schedules exactly, the Knoxville Area Transit (KAT) system is a good option for students attending the Magnolia Avenue and Division Street campuses. A student KAT pass—unlimited rides for 130 days—can also be purchased at UT or PSCC. Public transportation does not extend to PSCC’s Hardin Valley, Blount County, or Strawberry Plains locations. Most non-commuter Volunteer Bridge students currently attend the Division Street campus, which is approximately two miles from UT.

Students should carefully consider their transportation options when determining at which PSCC campus(es) to enroll.

Can I declare any major I want once I earn degree-seeking admission to UT for my 2nd year?

Students will not formally declare a major while enrolled in the Volunteer Bridge Program, but they can work with their advisors to prepare for admission to available UT degree programs. Note that successful completion of the Volunteer Bridge Program grants admission to UT but not to a particular major. Students must apply for admission to the college they wish to join upon transferring to UT.

Volunteer Bridge students are not likely to be eligible for direct admission programs in architecture and nursing. Volunteer Bridge students who wish to declare these majors or another major with rigorous or specialized admissions standards (such as business and engineering) should work closely with advisors to maximize their chances of acceptance into the major. Such students should also develop a parallel plan with their advisors in the event that they are not accepted to their first-choice major.

Students planning to major in music or music education must try out for the major before seeking admission to the School of Music at UT. Information about the audition process can be found on the school’s website.

Will I need a meal plan?

Volunteer Bridge students are not required to sign up for a meal plan at UT. However, if you do want a meal plan, you can choose from any of the meal plans UT has to offer. Meal plans can be changed but not canceled once purchased.

PSCC does not offer meal plans. The Hardin Valley campus has a full cafeteria. Food is available for purchase at most campuses, including Division Street.

Are there any UT or PSCC student activities and services that are off-limits to me while in the program?

Volunteer Bridge Program students have both a UT student ID and a PSCC student ID. By paying student services fees at both institutions, Volunteer Bridge students have full access to library privileges, student computer labs, tutoring and other student support services, and recreational facilities at both campuses.

Volunteer Bridge students are able to purchase UT student tickets to football games and other athletic and entertainment events. Volunteer Bridge students are also able to participate in ROTC on the UT campus.

While Volunteer Bridge students have unrestricted access to most UT student facilities and opportunities, some organizations and opportunities are not available to Volunteer Bridge students. These include:

    • Pride of the Southland Marching Band and other UT instrumental or vocal ensemble groups: Volunteer Bridge students cannot participate in these organizations until they officially transfer to UT. However, Volunteer Bridge students are eligible to participate in instrumental and vocal ensemble groups at the PSCC main (Hardin Valley) campus.
    • UT social fraternities and sororities: Volunteer Bridge students cannot pledge a social fraternity or sorority at UT until officially transferring to UT (in their second year). This applies to social sororities/fraternities only; Volunteer Bridge students are free to join a service sorority/fraternity at UT while in the program.
    • Some club sports and other recreational organizations: Volunteer Bridge students’ eligibility for club sports is determined on an individual basis. Volunteer Bridge students who are interested in playing for a RecSports sport club should contact the club organizers to determine their eligibility. PSCC also offers a wide variety of clubs and organizations that Volunteer Bridge students can join while enrolled in the program.
    • Official NCAA UT athletic teams are not an option.  Volunteer Bridge students can purchase tickets to or otherwise attend athletic events like any other UT student; they cannot be on an official NCAA UT athletic team until they are enrolled at UT.
  • Volunteer Bridge students cannot complete the application/training process to be a Resident Assistant until their sophomore year at UT.

Please note that these restrictions are based on the policies of other governing bodies, not of the Volunteer Bridge Program or UT itself. Upon successful completion of the Volunteer Bridge Program, students are eligible for these restricted activities.


Volunteer Bridge students are eligible to try out for any of the Spirit Squads including Dance, Cheer, and Mascots.